Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Everyone's a Heathen

I read a blog yesterday talking about whether x-tians should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us. That's funny isn't it... the rest of us... anyway... I've tried to find it again, but I can't so I can't link to it. But it was basically a quote from that asshole Fallwell saying we're all heathens and xtians have the monopoly on morality.

I absolutely hold them to a higher standard. They should be. It has nothing to do with whether or not God actually exists, or whether he listens to prayer or does any good. It has to do with the fact that they claim it does and that they have the monopoly to being decent and honorable people. So for that very fact, they should be held to a higher standard. After all, they're the ones studying how to be more moral. Shouldn't it actually make them better people? And does being more moral actually make you a better person?

The more I think about this the more it holds up to scrutiny. I would expect my plumber to know more about plumbing than I do. When he does work in my house I expect it to be done right and that I won't have to call him back out in a couple weeks to redo it. He's a professional and I hold him to professional standards. I'm not so anything I do is simply the best I can do. I'm sort of a plumbing heathen if you will.

And of course we all know that being x-tian doesn't really appear to make any difference in people's lives at all. You're either a good person or you're not and being x-tian only gives you an excuse to justify being whatever you want to be in the first place.

Look at my ex in my post from yesterday. She's gone mega-xtian and she's just an awful person. She's spiteful and mean, and vindictive. And she's actually abusing my daughter and doesn't think she's doing anything wrong because it's all in the name of the Lord.

1 comment:

praiseNull said...

I just wish they could be held to their own standards!

I may waffle on issues and change my mind from time to time, but I don't claim to have divine truth behind my opinions.

Christians love to preach to others while excusing themselves often from the same standards they push on others.