Saturday, September 11, 2010

Testify!

I woke up in a rural / small city hotel after being suddenly diverted out of town for work, and then I headed downstairs for their free breakfast. In most of my travels I find Fox News on in the breakfast area, but this time it was the 700 Club on the telly. OMFG.

When I walked in there were a man and a woman praying over letters and telling people they were healed by Jesus...yeah, go back to the doctor, and they will tell you you're healed. Then there was a story about an orphaned child in Africa taken in by the ministry mission, and he caught the African "super virus" that was supposed to give a 10-day fever. But they prayed for him and the fever was gone in a day. Hallelujah.

Then they answered a letter from a young boy who was upset that his older sister no longer believed in god. They told him it's not his job to argue with her or pressure her (I'm glad for that much at least), but it was his job to periodically share with her how god helps him in his daily life. That is his testimony, they tell him.

Ah yes, testimony. As the only evidence presentable for the existence of god, testimony is a key element in spreading the word of god. When someone wants to convert you, they ask if they can give your their testimony. Christians give their testimony when speaking in front of a group.

But the way the 700 Club guy presented the instructions stuck a chord with me. The message of testimony is a personal, positive one. Hey, isn't that what I've been whining about in this blog? My failure to promote atheism in a positive manner? Haven't I been wondering how I can do so? Well, here it is: atheist/rational/critical testimony! Through testimony I can provide personal, positive messages about how my reliance on rational and critical thinking and the fruits of the scientific method help me in my daily life.

This is still in the idea phase, but I like it. Possible venues for my testimony include a Twitter account, a blog, and I am toying with the idea of a webcast, only I would want to be anonymous. Tricky, but not impossible. I don't think this blog is the place for such testimony as this is where we come to vent and mock. I need a new, pure, happy place to share my rational testimony.

1 comment:

praiseNull said...

I have come back a few times to thinking about testimony, and I think I'm going to do it. I want the articles to be positive and sincere. I want to show that goodness and direction exists without God. I want to avoid negativity on the testimony site.

What's great is that I can use Christian guidelines on writing testimony and apply it to my secular/atheist testimony.

Notes to self: Evangelism and Christian testimony topics may be useful to review.

testify.blogspot.com and testify.wordpress.com are both taken but have no content, surprisingly.

"Atheist Testimony" is the first site description that jumped to mind, but it seems like there must be something better. "Secular Testimony" just doesn't sound right to me. Simply "Testify" actually sounds most attractive right now, and I would like to find a domain or subdomain that simple and direct.